The house at the southern end of South High Street in Franklin, Virginia, went up in 1904, and it went up on peanuts. Franklin sat on the Blackwater River in Southampton County, at the western edge of Virginia’s Tidewater, and by the turn of the 20th century the town’s Main Street and its cross avenues were crowded with buggy manufacturers, hardware dealers, drug stores, and — the real engine — peanut factories. Beale Peanut Company, Franklin Peanut Company, and Pretlow Peanut Company all cleaned and shipped from Franklin, drawing on the sandy loam of the surrounding counties, which grew more of the large-kernel Virginia peanut than anywhere in the country. The Camp Manufacturing Company was cutting timber on a national scale and would, in time, bring a paper mill to the town. The money was new, and some of it built houses.
Robert Ashton Pretlow’s family ran a store downtown at Main and Second Avenue and gave its name to a peanut company that Pretlow ran until his death in 1946 and that was sold in 1952 to the Birdsongs of Suffolk. Pretlow built the house, at a reported cost of $65,000, from pre-designed plans he had bought. What went up was a Colonial Revival, ample and confident, set on a corner lot at the southern end of the residential blocks that ran down High Street from the business district: three stories of wood frame under a hipped slate roof, five bays wide, three gable dormers above, and a one-story, one-bay center porch carried on square columns set on square piers behind a turned balustrade. The massing was Queen Anne. The ornamentation was not. Palladian windows, pedimented dormers, an oval cameo window, fanlights, and classical columns and balustrades placed the house squarely in the Colonial Revival taste of the early 20th century. Inside was more than 5,000 square feet of living space.
The Pretlows did not use it only as a residence. Overnight business guests of the Pretlow Peanut Company stayed in the house, decades before anyone thought to call it an inn. Pretlow’s daughter Evelyn, later Evelyn Pretlow Rutledge, lived there until she married, and went from it to Sweet Briar College. It would have remained a private house but for a young entrepreneur from Iowa who had come to Franklin to run a movie theater, and who lived directly across the street.
Harold Judson “Hal” Lyon was born in Waterloo, Iowa, on September 16, 1909. He was a prodigy. He studied piano and organ under C. Albert Scholin at Waterloo from 1921 to 1925, and by 1923 he was working the Balaban & Katz theaters in Chicago and being billed as the “Original Boy Wonder Organist.” From 1925 to 1927 he was enrolled at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago, taking organ and theory under Frank Van Dusen. At 17 he was supervisor of music for the Strand Amusement Company of Iowa, and in 1926 and 1927 he wrote on organ accompaniment to motion pictures for Metronome, Musical Observer, and Motion Picture Herald. Between 1923 and 1929 he was featured coast to coast. He married Marion Louise Basnight on July 20, 1929. Then his wife fell critically ill, a touring musician’s life became impossible, and he went looking for a business. He arrived in Franklin in 1930 and, on his 21st birthday, signed a lease on the Franklin Theater at the northeastern corner of Main Street and Fourth Avenue, which the Franklin Amusement Corporation — 180 local stockholders headed by James L. Camp Sr., who wanted an amusement center for the community — had put up in 1921 and then leased to a succession of chains and independent operators without satisfactory results. It had opened that August, seating 500 on the main floor and 250 in the balcony, with a new $4,000 organ bought for opening night. The theater was in bankruptcy when Lyon leased it. He had no previous business experience, and he was starting at the leading edge of the Great Depression. The farmers around him were getting a cent a pound for their peanuts. He brought the theater out of the red inside five years. He joined the Franklin Rotary Club in 1930, and the Cypress Cove Country Club the same year. He had been in town just a few months.
He never gave up the music, and the training never stopped. From the year he arrived until 1945 he was organist and choirmaster at Franklin Baptist Church; in March 1946 Pace Memorial Methodist in Richmond took him on as organist and choir director, to play its large Kimball organ and direct a paid quintet; and from 1947 he held the bench at High Street Methodist in Franklin. He gave a carillon to Franklin Baptist in 1939, while he was there, and in 1954 he presented High Street Methodist with a three-manual Wicks pipe organ and a 61-bell carillon in his mother’s honor. He studied conducting and choral methods with John Finley Williamson at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, New Jersey, taking the master course there in 1944, and got further organ instruction from Alexander McCurdy of the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia and from Frederick Kinsley, organist and choirmaster at Riverside Church in New York. Union Theological Seminary in New York made him a master musician. He served as director of music for Rotary conventions at the state, national, and international level, and in 1950 he toured 16 European countries, playing at regular religious services at Westminster Abbey, Notre Dame, and the monastery of St. Francis at Assisi. The organ bench and the projection booth would remain the two poles of his life.
The theaters multiplied. Lyon opened the Boykins Theater in 1935. Within two years the Chesapeake-Camp Corporation had put up a $3.5 million paper mill at Franklin, and the resulting upsurge in business prompted a second house in town: In 1937 he built Lyon’s State Theater on lower Main Street, at the southwestern corner of Main and Bogart, an art deco house with 500 seats. He ran both Franklin theaters simultaneously until the Franklin went dark in 1939; it reopened in 1945 and closed for good in 1951. On August 9, 1940, the Lyon Theatre went up in Waverly, on a lot presented to him by 20 businessmen of that town, and in September 1942 he bought out all 180 stockholders of the Franklin Amusement Corporation. In 1946 he added the Elco and the Delta in Portsmouth, and in 1950 he opened a 300-car drive-in at Carrsville. In time the circuit took in houses at Suffolk, Norfolk, Wakefield, and Ahoskie, North Carolina. The whole apparatus eventually operated as four corporations — Hal Lyon Enterprises Inc., Franklin Amusement Corporation, Lyon Amusement Corporation, and Lyon Realty Corporation, which held commercial and residential property across the region, including the rental houses in Franklin that grew into the Meadowbrook neighborhood. The corporations were owned outright by the family: Lyon as president and general manager, his daughter Halouise Lyon McDowell as vice president, and his mother Clara Parker Lyon as secretary-treasurer, with Robert F. Phillips as business manager and Irvin H. Thomason supervising maintenance. By 1950 the corporations employed nearly 100 people.
A portion of the R. A. Pretlow estate went to auction in Franklin on July 10, 1947, a year after Pretlow’s death in 1946 — nine sales run off in half-hour increments from ten in the morning. The homeplace at 205 South High Street, on the corner of Barrett, came up sixth, at one o’clock, advertised as a frame residence with all modern conveniences and a spacious front lawn and garden and, like four of the parcels sold alongside it, “restricted to whites.” Lyon broke off a vacation in California to get home for the sale. He took the house and a considerable portion of the estate besides, including the Meadowbrook subdivision on the outskirts of town, which came up last. The motive, by one account, was defensive. Lyon lived directly across South High Street, a funeral home was interested in the property, and buying it kept them out. Having bought the Pretlow house, he had to do something with it, and he had no intention of living in it. He meant to turn it into an inn — and not an inn that looked like what it was. He aimed to make a house of 1904 resemble something considerably older — an establishment in the manner of an early 19th-century Virginia ordinary, with guest rooms upstairs and dining rooms below. The inn, with its alterations, equipment, and fixtures, represented an investment by Lyon Realty Corporation of roughly $150,000. Work ran from September. Behind the house he razed the Pretlow barn, which had sheltered horses and a surrey, and built a two-car garage with a laundry room and an office on the ground it had stood on.
He did not hire locally for the interiors. The commission went to the Miller & Rhoads department store in Richmond, whose Studio of Interior Decoration handled the redecoration and furnishing of the entire building. On February 29, 1948, the store bought a full page in the Richmond Times-Dispatch — one half of it given over to the Easter Bunny primping in a mirror on the store’s third floor, the other half to a photograph of a large frame house behind trees and a block of copy congratulating the Town House on its opening. The decorators, the store explained, had preserved the building’s older character by choosing early 20th-century styles and blending them with pieces from preceding centuries, using fine reproductions throughout. The result, Miller & Rhoads promised, offered accommodations, food, and service in what it called “the traditional southern manner,” and it invited readers to come down for a weekend or a short vacation. Virginia’s roster of inns, the ad announced, had a new name on it.
February 29, 1948, was a Sunday and a leap day, and it was the day the Town House opened to the public. More than 5,000 people came through over the two days that marked the opening — visitors from all over Tidewater Virginia, walking the rooms of a country inn that had been a private house less than eight months earlier.
It was busy by Christmas. A display advertisement in the Times-Dispatch of December 19, 1948, laid out the operation in full. The kitchen served weekday luncheon from noon to two, starting at 90 cents, and complete dinners weekdays from six to nine and Sundays and holidays from half past 12 to nine, starting at $2.50. The daily special was creamed chicken and waffle at $1.25. The inn catered receptions, teas, bridge luncheons, dinner dances, and buffets, and patrons could have the catering done in their own homes, at a country club, or at a lodge. “We bring the Town House to you!” the copy declared. Chaffee Schade Brickman was the manager. The house described itself as dedicated to “discriminating folk who appreciate distinctive foods.” One line at the bottom of the notice explained the rest of the appeal: Hal Lyon at the organ at dinner.
That was the thing that made the Town House more than a well-appointed dining room in a small Virginia city. Lyon played nightly, and he played for the Sunday dinner crowd. He had come up in the era of the theater organ and was a protégé of Jesse Crawford, the Paramount organist whose recordings had made him the best-known theater organist of the silent and early sound houses. Guests came in for dinner and got an internationally traveled concert organist at the console while they ate.
The room was staged to match. Hostesses and waitresses worked in costume dresses meant to evoke the antebellum and early American South — the Williamsburg formula, which by 1950 was the default grammar of Virginia hospitality. Diners came from as far as Norfolk, 60 miles east.
The kitchen’s contribution to the inn’s reputation was a peanut pie. Town House Peanut Pie headed the dessert list on the dinner menu of May 30, 1952, at 35 cents — a nickel more than the homemade pies beside it — and it was still on the menu years later. Serving peanut pie in a house that peanut money had built was as neat a piece of menu writing as the inn ever managed.
The rest of the menu was Tidewater with a starched collar. That May 1952 dinner menu opened with soup du jour, chilled fruit, or tomato juice at 20 cents and a fresh jumbo shrimp cocktail at 75 cents, and ran to a choice T-bone of finest Western steer at $3.50, golden fried spring chicken by the half at $1.90, Florida butterfly shrimp French fried at the same price, Smithfield ham at $1.90, and baked sugar-cured ham at $1.50, each with green vegetables, salad du jour, potatoes, and hot breads. A line at the foot of the menu asked first-time guests to sign the register in the hall. The whole thing was signed, simply, Hal J. Lyon. By September 1956 the daily specials had acquired a Plantation Dinner — quarter fried chicken, Smithfield ham, black-eyed peas, candied yams, rolls, and beverage, $1.95 — next to a charbroiled chopped sirloin at 90 cents and a seafood platter of deviled crab cake, fried sole, and deep sea scallops at $1.75. Breakfast ran from half past seven to ten, 75 cents and up. A single room was $3, a double $5.
The national guidebooks followed. Duncan Hines had been publishing Adventures in Good Eating annually since the mid-1930s, and an entry in it was worth real money to a roadside establishment; the American Automobile Association’s ratings carried similar weight with touring motorists. By the early 1950s the Town House was carrying both endorsements in its advertising, along with the claim, set in heavy type, that it was “The South’s Finest Inn.” The ads that ran in the Times-Dispatch in April 1952, and again in April 1954, were placed with deliberate care: Both times they appeared on pages devoted to Historic Garden Week, wrapped around features on Norfolk gardens, Princess Anne plantations, and the Petersburg battlefields, exactly where a reader planning a driving tour of Tidewater would find them. A line across the bottom of the box advertised what was, in 1952, a genuine luxury in a small-town Virginia inn: an air-conditioned dining room and air-conditioned bedrooms. By October 1955 the Tidewater News, in its Golden Anniversary edition, was placing the Town House among three inns in Virginia rated excellent by Duncan Hines, the American Automobile Association, and Gourmet magazine.
The Hines listing was not merely a claim in Lyon’s own advertising. In January 1959 the Duncan Hines Institute in Ithaca, New York, put out word that the Town House had been included in the new edition of Adventures in Good Eating. It was the only restaurant in Franklin among the 3,500 selected, drawn from what the institute reckoned at a third of a million eating places in North America. Roy H. Park, the institute’s editor-in-chief — and Hines’s partner in the branded grocery line that would make the name a supermarket fixture — called the establishment “truly one in 100.” The Town House made the list again that December, in the Silver Anniversary edition, one of 4,600 eating places in North America carrying the Duncan Hines recommendation.
Running it was another matter, and Lyon recruited his managers out of the resort trade. Chaffee Schade Brickman ran the Town House from the opening and stayed until 1951, when she left to open the Old Baer House in Somerset, Pennsylvania; the Tidewater News noted her departure twice that spring, in the tone reserved for a local figure. Mrs. Letha Booth was in charge by August 1954, and her billing in the advertisements did the work: formerly of Williamsburg’s Travis House and King’s Arms Tavern. In February 1957 Lyon brought in Mrs. Edna Wells of Falmouth, Massachusetts, who had owned and run the Wellsmere Inn on Cape Cod for more than 20 years until a hurricane destroyed it in 1944. She had since managed the Park Beach Hotel in Falmouth Heights, Massachusetts, the Tides Hotel and Bath Club in St. Petersburg, Florida, and the Pine Tree Point Club in Alexandria Bay, New York, and had spent the previous year as catering manager of the Hotel Monson in St. Augustine, Florida. Wells put in a businessmen’s luncheon and planned a Sunday night buffet.
Lyon’s organ playing reached beyond the dining room in the spring of 1954. WRVA-AM, in cooperation with Richmond’s Department of Recreation and Parks, launched a weekly series of live broadcasts on Sunday afternoons featuring the rebuilt organ at the Mosque Theater, the first live programs to originate from that auditorium in months. The third program, on May 16, featured Lyon, who was introduced to listeners as the organist heard nightly at the Town House in Franklin. He brought Nelson Edens, also of Franklin, as guest soloist, and built the half hour around a Victor Herbert medley — “March of the Toys,” “Absinthe Frappé,” “Kiss Me Again,” “Gypsy Love Song,” “Italian Street Song” — rounded out with Ketèlbey’s “In a Monastery Garden,” Jessel’s “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers,” W. C. Handy’s “St. Louis Blues,” and Eddie Munson’s “Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider.” Edens sang “Ol’ Man River.” It was, in miniature, the Town House program transplanted to a broadcast studio. Four years later he was still at it, top-billed on a concert and variety program of Tidewater performers at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, then new, a $600,000 hall housed under a large aluminum dome.
In the summer of 1956 Lyon moved to solve the problem that would eventually close the Town House, and his neighbors stopped him. On a Tuesday afternoon in July he laid a sketch in front of the board of directors of the Franklin Chamber of Commerce: a $200,000 expansion, 36 motel units on the land behind the Town House, in the block bounded by South High, Bogart, and Barrett Streets. Each unit would cost between $6,500 and $9,000 to build, exclusive of furnishings, and each would have a television set, an air conditioner, and a tile bathroom. The units were to conform to the architectural design of the inn. The Town House had eight rooms available for transients, and Franklin’s expanding industry, Lyon argued, needed executive housing at popular prices. If all went well he thought he might go to 50 units in two stories.
A town ordinance forbade the expansion of businesses in residential areas, so the plan needed the approval of the Planning Board and the Town Council, and a public hearing was set for the last Friday in September. It was called off two days beforehand. On September 26 Lyon wrote to town manager Harold S. Atkinson that he had been advised several of his neighbors objected to a motel at the rear of the property, and that rather than jeopardize their goodwill he wished to withdraw the application. Mayor W. J. M. Holland Jr. announced that the council would take up regular business instead, including the second reading of the budget. The council noted the letter the following week and moved on. Lyon never revived the plan, and the Town House went into the 1960s with eight rooms.
The Town House was busy throughout the early 1960s, hosting children’s parties, club luncheons, wedding receptions, and meetings of the Rotary Club and the Chamber of Commerce. Lyon had served as president of both — the Chamber of Commerce from 1938 to 1943, the Rotary Club in 1942 and 1943 — and of the Franklin Community Fund in those same two years and the Franklin Housing Corporation from 1937 to 1942, and as chairman of the Southampton County chapter of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis from 1944 to 1948. He belonged to the Lions Club as well, and to the Bay Harbor Yacht Club.
Then it stopped. Lyon’s wife, Louise Basnight Lyon, died in 1960. By then his own interests had already moved west: a large guest ranch at Tucson, a housing development at Phoenix, hotels as far away as Honolulu. He would own motels himself before the end. In 1963 Lyon gave up the organ bench at High Street Methodist, and in the same year the Town House closed its doors. The forces working against the inn were the ones working against every inn of its kind: the postwar motel — the very thing he had abandoned plans to build on his own back lot — the bypass, the interstate, and a traveling public that had stopped wanting to eat dinner at half past seven in a converted mansion with an organist.
Lyon’s own money went elsewhere. In December 1964 he put $100,000 into a top-to-bottom remodeling of Lyon’s State Theater, hiring Red Dennis, a theater specialist out of Charlotte who had reworked 40 houses in the Stewart and Everett chain. The plans called for walls and stage in persimmon spiral silk damask, an Austrian valance running to the ceiling, sea-blue carpet throughout, a solid glass front with the cashier’s office moved inside, a foyer twice the old size lined in walnut paneling, and new seats at $50 apiece, spaced 42 inches apart instead of 30, which cut the capacity from 500 to 300. He was in his 35th year in the theater business in Franklin, and he told the Tidewater News he was making the investment because he had “a great deal of faith in the future of our city.” He hoped to reopen by the end of the year with Rock Hudson and Doris Day in Send Me No Flowers. He said nothing about the shuttered inn a few blocks away.
The Town House stood, closed and furnished, for the rest of Lyon’s life. He died on May 11, 1977, at age 67, in his house at 204 South High Street, directly across from the Town House. The funeral was held in that house at four the following Sunday afternoon, and he was buried at Poplar Spring Cemetery. Later that summer, on August 27, the Village Auction Barn at the junction of Routes 460, 58, and 13 in Suffolk ran a notice in the Daily Press of Newport News for a sale that evening of part of the Hal J. Lyon estate. The notice described the contents as coming from the old Franklin, Virginia, Towne House Inn, “closed for 14 years.” The partial listing ran to a column: clocks; a large crystal chandelier with an ornate brass crown; Oriental rugs; frames, many of them with prints; crystal, marble, and brass candelabra; oil paintings; mirrors; old cut glass; mahogany tilt-top tables; a walnut Victorian love seat and a Chippendale loveseat; Rose Medallion and Imari porcelain, cloisonné, sterling silver, German bisque, Delft ceramics, and Meissen porcelain; Victorian marble-top furniture; crystal stemware; cannonball beds and a poster bed with canopy; a rope bed; a walnut barrel-roll Victorian desk; Victorian side chairs; flow blue china, Heisey glass, and bowls and pitchers. Bidding began at 7:30 in the evening. The rooms Miller & Rhoads had furnished in 1948 were carried out of the house and sold in lots.
What was left was the building. It stood on its corner for decades, aluminum siding over the frame, a large house in a small city with no historic preservation commission and no obvious use for it. For a while it was a boarding house. Then it sat empty. Then, on a Friday night in July 2002, it burned. The fire, believed to be electrical, started on the third floor and vented through the roof; flames were 20 feet in the air when the first engine arrived. The house was balloon-framed — wall studs running unbroken from the first floor to the third, with no fire stops — so the blaze could have dropped the whole way to the ground floor. Three companies fought it, and falling slabs of roofing slate made the overhaul dangerous. Nobody was hurt. The house was under renovation at the time, and the fire left it uninhabitable, but the house came through. Norman and Pearl Buisch of Waterloo, New York, who had owned it since 1992, had arranged to sell the property on a land contract and took the mortgage back instead. They hired a caretaker for the lawn and the outside. The city considered citing them for building code violations.
In March 2006 Ernest Hefferon bought it. He made his living restoring old houses, he was already at work on the house at Second Avenue and High Street, and he had an engineering report in hand. The cleanup started within three weeks of closing. By April the crews were into what he called a full-blown renovation, paid for in part by historic rehabilitation tax credits. Somewhere in the middle of it he decided not to sell: He put his house in Suffolk on the market and told the paper he would be moving in with his wife. What he was after was the house as it had stood in 1904 and 1947. He restored the interior features to the original architecture, put on a new roof, finished the rounded front porch, and on the morning of Tuesday, July 25, he was pricing crafted exterior trim for it.
That afternoon a woman at 300 South High Street walked out of her house and saw smoke coming from the Town House’s second floor. By the time she had crossed the street, flames were coming out of the windows. She stood in the road and yelled for someone to call 911, and the call went in at about a quarter to four. Firefighters were there within minutes, but the building was too unsound to enter and they fought it from the outside with hoses, joined by companies from Hunterdale, Carrsville, and Sedley. By half past four it was past saving. The walls were too dangerous to leave standing and were ordered down, and all of them were on the ground by seven. Hefferon watched the demolition crew that evening and told the paper it was the end of a dream and could not be rebuilt. The cause was never determined. There was no electric service to the building; roof and flashing crews had been working over the new porch with a blowtorch that morning, and had been gone a while before the neighbors saw smoke. The fire chief said he was satisfied it was not suspicious.
Several months before the fire, the Downtown Franklin Association had chosen the Town House as the next subject in its series of historic downtown ornaments — chosen it, the paper’s editor wrote, for the restoration the new owner was making. The ornament came out that December, and printed alongside the house was what the association had gathered from several sources: the 1904 construction date, the $65,000 cost, the peanut company’s overnight guests, the funeral home Lyon had bought the place to keep out. A resident who had spent five years hoping to rescue it was left with photographs of the ruins and of the demolition that followed — pieces of the house, she wrote in 2013, strewn about as though there had been a war.










